WD My Passport Ultra 1TB - Smartware not so 'Smart' - A sad tale of woes

Wanted to share a story story with the community to see if anyone can shed any light - I’m getting no joy (in fact nothing at all) from WD support.

Bought the My Passport Ultra because of the promise of Smartware Pro.

• Initially the install process simply didn’t offer me the upgrade prompt for the Pro Version - sound familiar?
  • I called WD support who promised to call me back - the silence was deafening. Nothing at all!
  • I opened a support ticket and despite the message on the web portal, I’ve received no e-mail notifying me of the support case (I checked SPAM/JUNK too).

After many attempts (on different PCs) suddenly it worked:

• Entered e-mail address, and the software converted to the Pro version. Success ! ??
  • However, there has been no e-mail from WD with the details to allow re-installation, or installation on other PCs.

I was then prompted to update to V2.4.2 - things were looking up I thought. But it’s been flakey at best, and a dysfunctional resource hog at worst.

• Often I cannot ‘safely remove’ my drive, since ‘something’ is using it.
  • There is a ‘WD Backup Engine’ process consuming ~25% of CPU resource.
  • An initial backup seemed to work, but subsequent changes are not being processed, and the progress bar in the backup tab indicates constant ‘progress’.

This software has wasted hours of my time, and is simply not delivering what was promised.

I guess I should have known better what I might get for ‘Free’ - but it wasn’t free, I paid for the drive + software.

Does anyone out there have any ideas, or perhaps you can console me with the fact I’m not alone?

Hello,

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your device, as this is not the typical or intended experience with the product and provided support. As moderators we are constantly monitoring the community for issues, and all of them are forwarded to support, you can see that we also post directly on the threads sharing this information. We have also forwarded your case to support for further help, please check your private messages.