Kittygurl521
Accepted Solution

WD My Passport Not Detected

[ Edited ]

Hi, my device has been working quite nicely for a while now but a few days ago my passport (1TB) is not recognized in windows. Furthermore, the newest edition of WD smart ware cannot detect it either. Can anyone help me out? I uninstalled/ reinstalled Smartware but it hasn't done anything useful... Maybe storing files on my computer is safer than this thing :smileysad:

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: WD My Passport Not Detected

What OS are you using and does the drive show in Disk Management? Does it say anything in Disk Management down where the bars are shown like Raw? Never trust important data to just one drive internal or external no matter who makes it. You need at least 2 copies to be safe.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Kittygurl521

I am using Windows Vista. The device comes up as the USB symbol on my taskbar but nothing shows up in Disk Management.

Kittygurl521

Bump. Can anyone offer a suggestion that won't brick my drive?

Occasional Visitor
print365

Ive only had mine 2 months and I had the same problem, you would think that this issue should have been addressed by WD. When I plug mine into 1 of 3 pcs it shows on the devices settings but I cannot access it, its spins, lights up but no notification that I can access the Hard Drive. 

I am a photographer/designer and the images are super important for our business and clients.

Please if anyone has any ideas help!!! 

Frequent Visitor
AngieV

I have  a brand new WD passport essential 500gb USB 3.0 when I connect to the PC the light comes on but it doesn't show that the drive is connected.  How do I get it to read the drive?  Is there a problem with it? Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
ABarnes

I'm having the same issues!  Can anyone help?  This is obviously a reoccuring issue.  WD, figure it out.  

Frequent Advisor
cougar0790

Bring it to a data recovery facility.... most likely a Level II data recovery.... expect to spend around $300+ for the recovery.

Frequent Advisor
cougar0790

Have the data recovered, then RMA the drive.  There is nothing that cane be done to precent drives from failing.  This isn't a simple firmware issue.  It's more of an issue from the factory.

Kittygurl521

SOLUTION!!!

Okay, so as I said originally, my harddrive was not recognized on any system at my college; not Vista, not Win 7, and not Mac. However, I brought it home recently and tried it on my Dad's XP, where it worked for a while, then began spitting out error messages.

I noticed the drive works perfectly fine if I am pressing the usb head connected to the actual drive very snugly. If I so much as moved my hand, however, the drive was not recognized once more.

So I got a rubberband and secured the usb cord to my drive so it is snug and I'm now copying all of my files off this piece of **bleep** with flying colours.

My solution? Rubberband it, try it on an XP, or buy a new cord (Like $10)

Hope this works for you!

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD