WD My Passport Essential SE not connecting

I bought a ‘WD My Passport Essential SE 2.5 Inch 1 TB USB 3.0 HDD’ on 29th August, 2011.

It worked flawlessly for about 8 months. Good speed, though the glossy body is not the one I wanted.

But about 4 months ago, this strange problem started occurring - Whenever I connected the HDD to the computer, the connecting sound would come and then immediately it would get disconnected. After doing this for about 4-5 times, Windows would show a message that I needed to format the drive to use it

I even tried formatting and installing Windows again but the problem still persists. I cannot afford to format it because it contains a lot of precious data.

I would really appreciate if you guys could provide some solution.

Specifications of my computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz

2 GB RAM

320 GB HDD

Intel DG31PR Motherboard

If the hard drive is still recognized on the disk management window, you can try using a free data recovery program like recuva or testdisk. Check the link below for the steps on how to access the disk management.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0ODQzNDg4MS9zaWQvY2lvTlktNmw%3D

Thanks for your reply man…

BUT, The problem is that the Hard Drive is recognized some times and some times it just gets disconnected.

That’s why I don’t know what to do and I cannot find any regular pattern with disconnecting…

And that Hard Drive has 750 GB worth of PRECIOUS DATA…

So, if you have any other solutions, I would be really glad to hear them…

Harsha Mohan