Occasional Visitor
Apachi

WD My Passport Essential - Firmware Update Failed - Initio Default Controller :(

Hello all

Sorry to post the same question that 1000 other people have previously asked (Yes I have read the threads) but I am still struggling.

I have a WD My Passport Essential (WDBAAA5000AD2) and I am running Windows 8.

Yesterday I decided to update the firmware on the drive. The update failed and now my computer detects the drive as Initio Default Controller.

I have read lots of threads that say simply update the firmware again. However when I run the firmware update I get this message: "WD Firmware Updater is unable to determine the appropriate firmware for your drive".

Any help would be much appreciated.

It is frustrating as before I attempted the firmware update, the drive was working fine. I will remember the old motto in future......if it ain't broke.....dont fix it!

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Alucardx23

Re: WD My Passport Essential - Firmware Update Failed - Initio Default Controller :(

If the firmware update fails, it might damage your hard drive, I would contact tech support on this one to see if something else can be done. 

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD