WD My Passport 2TB Xbox 360 compatibility

Hello All,

I sincerely hope someone can help me… I just purchased the WD My Passport 2 TB HDD (model WDBY8L0020BBK) a few days ago and so far, I’m sorry to say, I have been unable to format it in a manner which will render it recognizable by my Xbox 360. I have a 320GB WD Passport which, after being properly formatted, worked perfectly as a plug n’ play device between the various devices in my home.

The 320GB is formatted in FAT32 which, near as I can tell, is not an option when reformatting via Windows 7 or XP. (I have Vista buried in the house somewhere but haven’t dug it out to try as I suspect it will not yield any different results.)

The 2TB defaulted in NTFS and was not recognized by the 360. I did a full format and wiped it clean (24+ hours … woo!)  but did not change the NTFS. Again, it didn’t work so I quick formatted in exFAT with the default allocation of 512kb … and again, no luck. Is exFAT incompatible with Xbox or could it be the USB 3.0 connection? Or do I need to do a full formatting in exFAT or should my Mac buddy bring his OSX over and format it via it’s enhanced abilities?

Sorry, I know that’s a bunch of info… I was super-excited about getting this drive and now I’m thinking about returning it for a couple smaller drives. I don’t really want to do that and any help in this matter would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!

Try using a third party tool to format I think EaseUS has a free one http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

Joe