WD My Passport 1TB Infected ?!

Hi… :slight_smile: I’m glad to be here and I will come straight to the point. I think i got my 1TB WD portable HD got infected to the chip-level from a friend’s PC. Now i cannot access the secured drive. Sometimes my password does not work. That was the earlier case. But after a few attempts, i can now unlock the drive. But cannot access the main drive partition in it. And also, my internet connection becomes slow. I very much believe that it’s being hacked. Could anyone please guide my to solve this issue? I have lots of data in it. I don’t want to lose them by getting it erased (after 5 failed attempts of password entry, it gave an option to erase the drive and reset the password!)… Please help me guys !!! It’s a bit urgent !

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

Have you tried connecting the unit to a different USB port or different computer to see if the partition comes up after it is unlocked ?

Thank you for replying… :slight_smile:

And yes, i’ve tried both, connecting to a different port as well as on a different computer. In the other system after it gets unlocked, the internet connection is there, but the browers can’t be used; they show no connection. But can ping google in cmd. Also i observed some peculiar signs like - flasing of the window title buttons, not able to disable the internet connection, etc. I strongly believe it’s the job of a very good hacker… Can i reset the smartware firmware partition, or is there any possible way to access the main partition. Or it would be lovely to just have the passord security feature disabled. Then i can use it as a normal portable hard disk. :confused:

And FYI, i’m using my portable in Windows 7.

This is my Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Result 1:

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WD My Passport 07A8 Unit Serial Number:[Deleted] Firmware Number: 1042 Capacity: 1000.17 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected. Test Time: 21:05:01, November 05, 2014

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST Model Number: WD My Passport 07A8 Unit Serial Number: [Deleted] Firmware Number: 1042 Capacity: 1000.17 GB SMART Status: Not Available Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected. Test Time: 21:05:30, November 05, 2014

- Could anyone please make anything out of this and give some real good solutions??

Hey guys there !!! I finally got my WD HDD working normally again… I used the " chkdsk /f " command in the Windows CMD Prompt to check for bad sectors in my drive. It took almost 16 hrs for me to wait for something to happen in the prompt window. But didn’t see any progress signs or that sort of thing… Finally, I closed the window after the long 16 hrs (of background processing, i guess…) and restarted my system. Then, when I checked, My Passport drive was perfectly back to normal. I even run all the disk evaluations from the WD Utility Diagnostics Software. That even took almost 4 hrs again. But, alas, my patience resulted in sweet recovery of my drive… Thought I would post the result of my solved problem here. Thanks guys for the support ! Ciao…