WD External Hard drive not recognized in my computer

hmm, looks like I’ve just arrived at the party which apparantly never ends.

I have a WD passport SE 1TB, my laptop is HP with 64 bit Win 7, everything worked fine for almost half a year until yesterday.  I brought the WD to a friend’s, and transfered bunch of files to two other computers, 1 macbook pro, 1 win xp, everything went through, no problem.  but after I took my WD home, my own laptop won’t recognize it anymore.  my WD passport SE has smartware for security, it now still pumps the screen ask for password to unlock (the drive blinks and spins as usual), I typed in correctly, it says drive now unlocked, and then…nothing.  when everything worked perfectly, after unlocking the drive, I would find it under My Computer’s Hard Disk Drive section, but now after unlocking it only shows as CD-drive WD smartware, and I can’t do anything with it, can’t access my files and data.  I click on the CD-drive wd icon, it would seem the system starts scanning the device, but nothing will eventually come up, I think it actually soft crash the system.  when I unplugged it, a warning pops up says the device will have to be formatted, whatever…

I’ve tried:

1. different 2.0 USB cables, no help.

2. connecting to all available USB ports on my laptop, no help.

3. wiggling the cord or whatever, no help.

4. checking under disk manager, when connected and unlocked, the disk manager would soft crash…

5. looking under device manager, shows it’s there, but “no driver installed”, and of course it’s supposed to be compatable with win 7 and should work with drive’s own stand-along installer the way it used to, but…

6. installing the firmware updater, click and nothing happened…

so I took it to a WD authorized repair center early today, explained to them my problem.  the tech connected it to their system (XP), guess what? everything works all finey and dandy, they looked at me like I’m stupid, and I do feel very stupid.  but it still won’t freaking work on my own laptop.

so the good news is my WD is actually still good, I will have to try more other computers, but at the mean time, I can’t use it on my own laptop.