WD External Hard drive not recognized in my computer

I’m having the same problem.

I’m using XP version 5.3, so in my case the problem has nothing to do with compatibility issues with Windows 7.

My drive does work intermittently.  Sometimes when I first plug it in I can read my files, but then it disconnects.  Usually it will go through a cycle of connecting then disconnecting before deciding on disconnection.  I’ll get an array of messages ballooning up in my system tray, and sometimes I’m even treated to the install new software wizard.  Throughout all of this it’s little white light shines on.  Its all very entertaining.

So, what are we supposed to do? I’ve had my hard drive just over one year, its worked hard for the full length of its warranty so it is probably ready to accept this is its last dance, and so am I.  As a westerner I like the idea of a shiny new hard disk.  I couldn’t really give a **bleep** that this type of thing is an incredibly wasteful use of humanity’s finite resources or that farce of this flavour is occuring on a massive scale.   What I would like to know is how can I rescue my music? (Thank the lord I haven’t paid for music since my Maxtor HD died with all my real music collection). 

Perhaps its just time to admit all this technology is really a bit **bleep** and go back to tapes.

:wink: