WD External Hard drive not recognized in my computer but detected in device manager

HI

i have a western digital external hard drive of 500gb …

suddenly i got a problem with it… it is not showing in my computer but showing in device manager …

i tried in disk management but its telling " the media is write protected"

YA in the disk management the drive is showing but there is no drive letter , when i try to assign it , there is a error msg come " the Media is write protected "…
and able to do any thing bec of that error …

and also showing this pop up box in disk management when i connect my hard drive

pop up msg :

after i press ok , im getting this error msg…

also tried to update my passport but the update software is also telling me" USB is NOT FOUND"

so couldn’t upadate the firmware also

so can any one help me to solve my prblem

1 Like

The problem is that your PC seems to think it’s a 2TB drive (actually, bigger) and you say that it’s only 500 Gig.

I’m wondering if that’s a sign of a controller failure.

yeah

so now what i have to do…

shall i have to reinstall OS ( im using windows 7)

or else tell what i have to do yar…

there r lot of information in it …which i need

Hi, Im having the same problem as mumna460.

Recently got the WD Passport 1TB, and everything was good until recently i dropped it while it was plugged into my laptop. The drop wasn’t that bad, it actually fell on my feet from the couch i was sitting on. This is not the 1st time that I’ve dropped it.

After plugging it back in my laptop, the password window doesn’t popup and after a restart and further checking, i realized that the partition that was installed (H:) no longer shows up in My Computer. I tried installing the latest Firmware and Software update from the site, but that didn’t help.

I can however see the driver in Device Manager under Disk Drives (WD My Passport 070A USB Device). But when plugging the device into my laptop, nothing happens. The light on the device is the only thing showing signs of life, and sometimes the spinning noise for about 20-30 sec.

I would also like to know if I’m able to recover my data. Because i never installed anything on my computer, all my files and software and programs were on the HD, around 300GB of data. At the moment the only thing i have on my computer is Internet Explorer.

P.S: Using EASEUS Partition Master, i can see that there is a disk with 2TB size that is unallocated. This is the WD driver, because it disappears when WD is unplugged. However i have no idea what to do with it, i can only create a partition on it but i don’t know the size that im supposed to set for it. I tried 1TB but i got an error.

I would like to know if there is any hope if recovering the data, if not, can i atleast fix it and get it back to normal/formatted?

Any sort of help is appericated.

Thanks.

MY own has a similar problem i dropped only once then it worked for several hours and know its not working in any computer the light blinks and the fans spins and i hear like 14 clicking sounds it doesn’t show up in device manager but it gets wram and the fan still spins i really need help because there it too much precious data on it

bionicuae wrote:

Hi, Im having the same problem as mumna460.

Recently got the WD Passport 1TB, and everything was good until recently i dropped it while it was plugged into my laptop. The drop wasn’t that bad, it actually fell on my feet from the couch i was sitting on. This is not the 1st time that I’ve dropped it.

Well, unless mumna460 dropped his passport, then you don’t have the same problem as he.  You need to understand that a portable drive is a delicate piece of equipment.  Dropping it once, can damage the drive, whether it seems like it has or not.  You will need to go to a data recovery company to recover your data, that’s if it’s recoverable.  If you drop a passport while it’s running and the head hits the platters, you probably won’t be able to recover your data. 

Atari wrote:

MY own has a similar problem i dropped only once then it worked for several hours and know its not working in any computer the light blinks and the fans spins and i hear like 14 clicking sounds it doesn’t show up in device manager but it gets wram and the fan still spins i really need help because there it too much precious data on it

Dropping a drive once is all it takes to damage it beyond repair.  This is the reason you NEVER trust your precious data to just one device.  I had to learn this the hard way, same as you.  I now back up my most important data on at least three devices.  I even use DVD archiving for my critical documents and pictures. 

i didnt really drop i was just slide a few cm like 10cm the now it doesnt work you can see the light blinking and the fan moving so i know it is getting adicuate electricity just that it is not showing up pn any computer ps i’m running windows 7 ultimate

I didn’t really drop I was just slide a few cm like 10cm the now it doesnt work you can see the light blinking and the fan moving so i know it is getting adequate electricity just that it is not showing up on any computer ps i’m running windows 7 ultimate