WD Elements portable hard drive model number WDBABV5000ABK

I work with Windows 7 and save my files to WD Elements portable hard drive so that I can access them from all my computers.  I now find I can’t copy, rename, move or delete any of them.  I get these messages

“you don’t currently have permission to access this folder (or file)”

when I press continue the message changes to

“you have been denied permission to access this folder (or file).  You will need to use the security tab (in file/folder properties)”

Then I have to take ownership and then add user permission “everyone” with full access!

Is there a way of stopping this from happening in the first place, and in the second, is there a way of unlocking multiple files/folders at the same time.

I think most of these files were written and saved from my desktop computer and now I can’t access from my laptop.

Any assistance gratefully accepted; the problem has affected hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of files and folders; what a nightmare"!!!

Incidentally before getting the elements portable drive I used WD passport portable drive and this problem never happened!  Why didn’t I stick to the passport drive???

Hello,

Try what’s listed on the link below, this will help you to complete the ownership process.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/take-ownership-of-entire-hard-drive-in-windows-7.pdf