WD Elements : Data disappears

A few days ago, I was copying some files from my WD external drive 1TB to another drive but the process suddenly stuck. Thus, I restarted my macbook (without ejecting the drive). However, my laptop then cannot detect the WD drive although the other drive worked just fine.

After much ejecting and reconnecting, it was finally recognised but it appeared to be empty. I then connected it to another laptop and it appeared to be normal with all of the files. I reconnected it to my macbook and it still appeared to be empty.

Fed up, I left it overnight. The morning after, some of my files appeared one by one which took a few hours for each different folders. Thinking that it might take a while for the drive to recover the whole 900++GB files, I left it for a few days but well, only around 80GB of files were recovered.

I ejected it again and checked with another laptop and only the 80GB of files were recognised but somehow the files were invisible. Then again, I reconnected to my macbook and all files were gone again and when I checked the storage in macbook, it seems that “other” took around 90GB of the drive but no other files were found.

Help me!!!

Thank you.

Hi j_adh, welcome to the WD Community. Sorry to hear you cannot access your files. If you need to recover your files you can use a data recovery program, there are several options you can find using Google. If that doesn’t work I recommend you to contact tech support directly for further assistance. 

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp