WD Elements 500gb portable hard drive

Hi, I am new to this forum. Unfortunatley I am not having good luck with external hard drives. About a year ago a different hard drive go bad on me and had to have a third party get all my photos onto his machine and I got this one and he added them onto it. Cost me between $60 to $80, I don’t remember, just for him to transfer. I have tons of pics, tons. I have 4 weddings, 3 Christenings, personal family shots. Well all of a sudden I got this message last night,  USB Device not recognized.  The last USB device connected to this comuter has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.  Recommendations;  Try reconnecting the device. If windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly.  I checked to make sure it wasn’t the USB ports and it is not. Anyone have any fix for this so I again don’t have to pay another $60 to $80 to have them put on the unused on that I got at a good price on when I bought them. Please any fix or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the WD community.

Have you tried connecting this unit on a different computer, or using a different USB cable? you can check to see if this helps you out.

I actually don’t have another computer to try, but I do have another hard drive and I tried that to make sure it was not the ports and it was not. I also took the cable that goes from the drive to the computer and used another one and that did not work. I could hear a little chirp type noise while it was trying to open the drive. I did get someone on the phone at WD and they were trying to get me to download a “fix” but it wasn’t getting me to the right place. He said call back on Monday. I did get to the place where he wanted me to get to and when I tried to execute it it took me to a page that said it was for a Toshiba. So I did not do a think and will call back on Monday. He said my pics are safe and that it just need to run a fix. So I hope he is right!

I have been in touch with WD and they remotely got on my computer and checked the drive and said it seems to be bad. I need to get to someone to download off it and put it on another. I have called a place near me and he said it may be something inside that he can fix. As I type this I kind of know what my answer will be. Has anyone ever attempted to open and fix a drive on your own? The pictures on there are so precious I am thinking not an option.

Unless it is a WD sanctioned data recovery vendor it will invalidate the warranty if they open the case.

Joe

Thanks for bringing that up. But they have a 30 day warranty and it is well over that.