WD Elements 500gb Problem

Hi

I’m not really all tech with hard drives and such, I just bought one to back up all my documents and photos.

When I plug in my hard drive, it sometimes works perfectly fine. However, sometimes when I plug it in it may take a while to load when I click on it in My Computer, or when I select a folder inside. What I mean by this is that in the address bar of the folder, the blue loading bar goes across and takes a while to load. Another problem I am having is that sometimes the explorer window for the hard drive freezes when clicked or when opened, and goes not responding. After closing that down or shutting my laptop down/PC, I plug it back in and then it says that it is installed and ready in the bottom right corner, but does not appear in My Computer. Plugging it in and out doesn’t help. I leave it out and then sometimes it re-appears. I just took it out from my brother’s PC then, the safe way, right click, eject etc. and plugged it into mine and it has read it, but isn’t appearing in My Computer. 

This happens on both my laptop at home and the school computers. I’ve read on the discussions and believe it may be to do with power starvation in the USB ports as my laptop is pretty old (getting on 4 year ish) so probably has a low power supply in the ports? School computers are probably low aswell. 

I’m just wondering if there’s a problem with my hard drive.

Thank you.

Hello,

You could be dealing with a power issue indeed. Try to reach WD to get a power booster cable, see the contact information below:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

Mine did exactly this, and then died entirely.  Make sure you have your files backed up.

Good luck