WD Elements 1TB slow transfer rate after formatting

Hello,

About 4 months ago I purchased an external hard drive (WD Elements 1 TB) to safely backup all my precious data.

After using the HD without problems, two weeks ago the HD started to give problems after I plugged it out of my Macbook without safely ejecting it first. After this happened, my Macbook would not recognize the hard drive anymore, making it impossible to use. After doing some research on the internet, I found a way to resolve this and the hard drive started working again, until yesterday the same problem occurred. I thought that I could fix it in a matter of seconds, which was the case the first time the problem occurred, however this time something else happened.

After trying OSX’s inbuilt function to restore/repair external drives, it still would not appear on my Macbook, so I plugged it into a Windows computer and it gave no problems. I took all the data from the external hard drive to the Windows computer, formatted the drive and now I when I want to put all the data back on the Hard Drive, it’s giving me such a slow transfer rate that I’m afraid putting all the data back on my external drive will take me about 4 weeks. (By slow I mean around 10 kb/s)

This has not been the case before the two malfunctions or after the first time of faulting.

Is there any way how I can find out if the drive is defect, or that something else is the problem? 

This should not happen after buying an external disk 4 months ago, from a respected company that has been manufacturing HD’s for quite a long time.

Hopefully someone can resolve my problem and is it just some minor detail which I have overlooked,

advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jwnoorlander

Jwnoorlander,

I would recommend testing the hard disk drive for sector and S.M.A.R.T. errors using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows and replacing the USB cable. If the device fails the test then it should be replaced under warranty.

Please visit the following link for additional information;

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/