WD Elements 1TB Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable

Just bought this and now getting the following error message ‘Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable’  I’ve already tried to recover the files using one free data recovery software but to no avail.  I’m not too worried about the data as such.  But is there a way to reformat the drive so that it’s at least usable and, if so, is there software I will need to download afterwards.  I couldn’t find any downloads for this product on this site.

Many thanks.

Hello,

You try runing a check disk through the command pront.

In the search bar or Start\Run command, type: CMD.exe, next type: “chkdsk c: /r” ( use the letter that the computer is assigning th the drive.)(no quotes) and hit Enter.

Also you can try using the DLG Tool

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Well I did has you’d instructed and it ‘Passed’ all the tests.  Although, the link you gave did not work and I had to do a search on the website to find the download.  But still no joy.  As it kept coming up with the same message.  Given that I wasn’t too bothered about the data.  I have an online back-up too.  I decided to reformat the drive - first using the WD download and then in Windows.  For those interested or with a similar problem all the instructions on how to do this are here  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/3865/c/130/p/228,195,255.  Then I was able to reassign it to a drive.

Thankfully, now it is up and running again.  And I am in the process of sending all my documents and pictures to it again.  At least, I know what to do now should I run into this problem again.

I’m having the same problem, but I cannot run any diagnostic programs.  Windows recognizes the drive in Explorer.  But, when I try to run an Error Check, I get a message that “the disk check  cannot be performed because Windows can’t access the disk.”   I ran a rescan under Disk Management, and updated the firmware.  No dice.   So, I’m ready to try something new.   Does  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows  work on a portable drive (My Passport Essential SE)?  ARe there any other solutions?