Using My Passport as a USB Storage Device?

I bought a 320gb My Passport USB device this week so that I could move my files around between any PC at work and use it like a USB flash drive but with more storage. However, I cannot seem to access the drive without setting up the software. This is not possible since I am not an administrator on any of the PCs. I have no interest in the security or backup, I just want the storage.

Is there any way to blow away the WD software and just use it as a USB Storage device? I have used other USB hard disks in the past and not had to worry about installing the software.

Please help. If not, I’ll look to take it back to the store and choose another brand which would be a shame since I’ve been impressed with the quality of other WD hard disks.

You do not need to install the WD software to get it to work.

But, you still need its WD SES driver installed for it to be recognized.

The WD SES driver is included in the WD Virtual CD.

It is under Extras folder/WD SES Device Driver.

Click the link below if you need to see how to install it.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739&p_created=1253918879&p_sid=WaMA*mWj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=3649&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQxLDE0MSZwX3Byb2RzPTIyOCwyMDkmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0yLjIwOSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWhvdyB0byBpbnN0YWxsIFdEIFNFUyBkcml2ZXI!&p_li=&p_topview=1

FYI:

WD Element is a plug and play external drive.

It does not need any drivers.

It is less $$ too.

Thanks for the reply.

You need administrative access to install drivers so I can’t even do that :frowning:

I want to be able to use the 1 TB My Passport as a USB storage device, as I was able to do an 120 GB model which I formatted to NTFS, so I could use it with Linux machines. So far it is resisting my efforts to reformat it, as I can’t get Linux machines to recognize it. Any Ideas?

STAY AWAY FROM THE 1TB version!  The bloat ware will kill your system!  an you only get about 600GB

If you find a solution - let me know!

I bought it for the same reason, as the blurb said I could use it to store and move files securely.  It didn’t say I had to install the WD Smartware programme on every pc first!

All I wanted was a totally, self-contained, secure storage device that I could use to transport files when I visit clients/go overseas etc.