USB 3.0 ports with WD Passport HDD

I have been successfully using my WD Passport HDD with USB 2.0 ports for some time. I now have a system with USB 3.0 ports. These ports are on the back of the case and the lead supplied with the WD Passport is too short and too inconvenient to plug into the rear of the system. I have now purchase two different USB 3.0 extension cables, one  is 1 metre long the other is 2 metres long, both from different manufacturers. When I use either of these cables, I get a message “inviting” me to format my drive. I have bought a third 1 metre cable, with a USB male on one end and a USB micro connection which fits the WD Passport. This works well in both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports. I can leave this cable connected to the system and plug in the drive when I need to. However I would prefer to use a Male/Female extension to reduce wear in the drive connection. It appears that USB 3.0 extension cables are bad news, would that be a correct assumption, and if so why? All my USB 3.0 port drivers are up to date.

The length of the cable is related to the drive performance.

The drive performance is affected when using longer cables since the drive will not spin at the right speed.

Also, the reason why you are been prompted to format the drive is because of corruption issues related to the cable you are using.

For more information check the link bellow:

Problems with WD Passport drives and data corruption using a USB reel cable

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1297

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I depend on the WD Passport for my backups, so the speed issue while nice is not as important as lack of corruption. I reckon I will continue to use the more accessible USB 2.0 front ports with the original cable.

You mention corruption issues with the extension cables I have purchased. Is there any way of checking these cables? I could spend a lot of money buying cables to find that they have similar issues.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Hamish12 wrote:

You mention corruption issues with the extension cables I have purchased. Is there any way of checking these cables? I could spend a lot of money buying cables to find that they have similar issues.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

This is one of the reasons why we do not recommend.

There’s not security with an specific cable brand as this type of setup is not supported for the reasons previously provided.

1 Like

These drives are very sensitive to voltage. Longer cables tend to have more resistance and cause a voltage drop and problems with the drive.

Joe

1 Like

Many thanks for your reply. I chuse WD because of there known reliability and I reckon from what you have said, it was a good choice.

Thanks again.

Many thanks.