Running My Passport Essential on Linux (Ubuntu)

Hi Nathan_H,

I’ve just come across your reply to my question. Since posting it I have sought help from a local computer shop who has run the disc error checker for me. He reported that the disk is healthy and my data safe inside.But the same error message comes up when I attempt to connect the drive so maybe appropriate repairs were not made using Microsoft’s tools.

I’ve just now attempted your second suggestion to try to force mount it. I found the device name in Disk Utility. Under Drive>Device, the code is /dev/sdb and under Volume>Device, the code is /dev/sdb1. I tried typing the former in place of the ‘X’ but without success. The output reported 'failed to access volume, no such file or directory.

Please could you tell me exactly what I should type in the terminal? (I am a complete beginner).

The other point to make is that I am running Ubuntu Netbook Edition which does not have a Places menu but instead a categories list of icons. So I am unsure where to find Computer>File System after I have done the typing in the terminal.

I very much appreciate your help

Chris