Query on deleting files from My Passport

Dear all,

I have a question about deleting files permanently from the hard drive to clear up space for other stuff. Basically i looked around on the Internet and found out that deleting a file from My Passport simply by clicking delete button on keyboard will not completely remove the file from the hard disk thus clearing the space. Recently i found out there’s a folder named “Recycler” and i accidentally deleted the whole folder. It does free up the space that some deleted files occupies. But the problem now is that i wanted to delete some other files. But the Recycler folder has been deleted and when i tried deleting the files, the space is not cleared up. Any possible solutions?

Have a nice day! :smiley:

Hello,

Recycler is the folder that Windows creates in the external hard drive to place deleted files until you delete them from the trashcan. Check the following link for the steps to change the recycle bin properties. 

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_waste_space_for_deleted_files.mspx?mfr=true

Dear sir,

thanks a lot for replying. now here’s my doubt. So if i change the properties of my recycable bin for WD My Passport to “Dont move the files to Recycle Bin.Remove files immediately when deleted”. the files that i want to delete from my hard drive will be permanently deleted and space will be free up immediately?\

Thanks again. it really helps.