Problems with passport and windows 8.1 (Windows cannot load ...driver still in memory code 38)

Every time I use my passport it works the first time, but the next time I plug it in I get this error:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The only way to fix this is to reboot the PC.  None of my other USB drives (Droid, thumb drives, phones, cameras) have this issue.  I downloaded the latest SES driver and installed it, but USBSTOR keeps getting used.  I have tried using the safely remove hardware before removing the drive, but it usually fails that it cannot stop the drive (again none of my other drives need to do this). 

I am thinking about taking this back to Costco and getting the Seagate one.   Any ideas on how to make this work correctly?

Hello,

Click on the link below to go to the Microsoft support page and click on “Code 38” for assistance with this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123#38

This is what the Microsoft page recommends:

_ Use the Troubleshooting Wizard _

If you have not already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, do so now.

1. In the device’s  Properties  dialog box, click the  General  tab.
  2. Click  Troubleshoot  to start the  Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
  3. Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.

_ Restart your computer _

Click  Start , click  Shut Down , and then select  Restart  in the  Shut Down Windows  dialog box to restart the computer. 

Have done that, and yes the restart allows the drive to work one more time, but I should not have to restart each time I use this.  Troubleshooting restarts at the end of the process.

Was trying to get away from USBSTOR and use a WD device driver.

You might try this 

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-or-flash-problems-how-to-cleanup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers.145884/ 

Joe