Portable external drive use on Android devices via USB OTG cable

WD team, I’ve searched but didn’t see anything regarding this Android topic.

In general: I’m looking for an external 2.5" drive that has a lower power draw and works with Android.  If you can recommend the proper formatting (NTFS vs. EXFat vs. FAT?) that Android devices need that is also a plus.

Specifically: My car has an Infotainment system called CUE, which is Linux-based and accepts USB drives and an SD card natively via ports in the car itself.  Problem is, at each engine start, it “initializes” each device and the car maker does not recommend > 4k media files per device, which is less than optimal for anyone with a decent music collection.  This initialization process takes from a minute or two to 20-30 minutes, during which time voice control for media doesn’t work and searching via the touch screen is problematic.  Anyhoo, I’m looking for a solution whereby I connect an external drive to my Nexus 7 (2013) via the OTG cable, and stream audio to the car’s system via BT while controlling the media from the Nexus 7 instead of the CUE system.

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,

Don in Virginia

At the moment we don’t support this type of setup.

You could try going to the Ideas Board, if this has not been suggested it could be a good prospect for a future device.