Please help to fix Western Digital external Hard drive problem!

I bought this 1TB WD My Passport USB hard drive not so long ago. After only a month of use on my laptop(Dell Vostro 1500 with Win7 Home 64-bit), it suddenly stopped showing up in My Computer. 

It is still there in Device Manager as 
“WD My Passport 0740 USB Device” under Disk Drives

and it also show up under Disk Management…but as
Disk 1
Unknown
Not Initialized
with no report on the disk size
I am unable to initialize it. It would give me “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”.

It also show up normally under Devices and Printers

At the right bottom corner of my desktop, I am able to eject the hard drive normally

But no matter how many times, and which of the 4 USB ports I plug it in, it will just beep for a minute or so then it will still not showing up for use under My Computer.

There was also suggestion of not enough power from the USB ports. But I don’t see it as a reason because it actually worked till now.
I just tested it on another person’s laptop, it showed the same symptom as on mine… long beeping with no showing in My Computer. 

I don’t get it, but I still don’t think it is any hardware problem.

Can i Have my Data back???

Plzzz do help here…  

Thnx in advance

Hi, be sure to use the USB cable that came with the Passport, avoid using USB extension cables or USB hubs. If the problem continues you can also try using another USB cable. 

1 Like

Yeah I tried it too with Seagate USB 3.0 cable… No change 

Under disk management properties it shows 0 capacity & not initialized… Does it mean I had lost all my data???

I had also faced the same problem please help as all my data is saved in this disk and now i am unable to read this hard  disk.Please help 

You can try using a data recovery program, with the help of Google, you should be able to find several options. If you are not able to recover your files using a data recovery program, you can also try to contact one of the data recovery companies on the WD page. Check the link below for more information. 

WD Data Recovery Partners

to recover data first the portable harddisk should be read by my laptop but it cannot be read.

Data recovery companies make wonders in retreiving files in your hard disk

… and on how much money it can get from you.

@NARIVARMA

Any news on how did you go with your HD?  I’ve got a similar case, you may need to replace the PCB part or some components in your HD. 

@SHRESTHA.ASIS

Purpose of the Data recovery companies are to retrieve data that regular guys like us can’t access.  make sense?