Password protected WD Passport not recognized by Samsung TV

Hi I bought a 500GB WD My Passport portable drive. It is working as expected when plugged in to my PC or MAC. I added some videos in the portable drive but when I plugged it into my Samsung LED Smart TV, the portable drive does not appear in one of the external sources list. I think this is because the drive is password protected and there is no option in the TV to enter the password and unlock the drive.

How do I get my WD My Passport to work in my TV?

1 Like

The password protection could be one of the reasons.

You can also check with the TV manufacturer and see what file system does the drive need to have to work with the TV.

so how can i removed the password protection?

The password may be part of it. For video the drive usually needs to be refornatted FAT32. Try posting in TV section.

Joe

This can be accomplished by:

1. If you haven’t already, please install the WD SmartWare software on your computer (This is a requirement for using and disabling a password).
  2. Once WD SmartWare has been installed, open it and go to the Settings tab.
  3. Under Settings you can remove the password protection.

Dear respected fellows, I also encoutered the same problem and when I follow the solutions suggested it does not work, here what happens with me:

1. Installed WD Smartware

2.Updated the Firmware

1. Opened WD Smartware

3.1 It shows me that I have a ____PC and MY Passport drive 

3.2 by default it WD smartware selects my ____PC drive (which is light blue highlighted)

3.3. when I try to select My Passport it shows that both my ____PC drive and My Passport are selected

3.4  When I go to settings it shows only my ______PC drive not the one which I want My Passport

I tried it with various different PCs but it does not work. I need to remove the WD locker desprately, Please help me.

I have WD My Passport 1 TB portable drive 

I have disabled the password in my WD Passport drive by reformating it (for other readers, don’t do this if you don’t have backup of your files). The drive can be read by my other laptops but unfortunately my TV still can’t see it.

This is really anoying. Please help.

I had same issue a week ago, so i decided to send drive for datarecovery company. They promissed to help me and they did . Difference was only i didn’t set any passworsd but it started to ask me about :frowning: . So try to find any decent data recovery service in your place, i believe  they can help you . In my area  - Dubai i found only this guys : www.angeldatarecovery.com

They said, it is firmware issue not the password locking one .  

I tried re-formating the drive via the DOS prompt command. And it worked!

No more password, but at least the TV can now see/list my WD Passport drive.

Added videos, photos, & songs. All are being read by my Samsung Smart TV.

Hope this solution helps.