Passport no longer showing up...because it renamed itself?!

I know so many people have a similar issue, but there seems to be a few unique aspects in my issue that I hope will help with resolution!

As the title states, my passport (it’s nearly 4 yrs old, wd1200u017-002) is not showing up anymore. When I plug it in, the light goes on and Windows (XP Media Centre) makes that “doo-DOO” noise. However, it doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer, nor when I try to open a file thru Windows Media Player.

It does not show up in Disk Management, but does appear in the Device Manager under Disk Drives.

I’ve discovered that it still shows up in the “Safely Remove Hardware” utility, still listed as a USB Mass Storage Device. When I click to stop the service – here’s the really interesting part – it shows up as being called “WD”. It definitely used to say “WD Passport (P:)” (P being the drive).

Any ideas?!?!

Did you try renaming it to it’s original name?

1 Like

Sir I have The same problem how can i fix that???

How do I do that!!! Recall that it’s not showing up in Disk Management…

Sorry my fault about device manager. Something I’ve used to fix assorted problems is simply delte the driver disconnect the deive properly reboot PC then plug back in. A corrupt driver can cause some strange errors.

OK…how do I do that without using the Device Manager?