Passport in Safe Mode

My new 1TB passport 3.0 portable HD, when plugged into a usb3 port is only recognized if my PC is running in Safe Mode. The PC is a 2 months old i5 4670 with win7x64.

The Drive ran on two usb3 PC’s at the retailer’s with the same cable.

On every PC start up using a usb2 port, the usb3 eXtensible host controller sends a message  “This device can perform faster if you connect to a usb3 port”.

In Safe mode I transferred a 1.28 Gb folder over at 2.75 Gb per min to confirm not running at usb2 speed.

I removed the surge protecter, and the PC with a 700 watt PS is on it’s own power point.   Any Ideas please.

Hello, check if you have the latest USB 3.0 drivers installed.

Hi Ichigo

Yes I have already made sure both intel and microsoft drivers were current,thanks.

Today I plugged in with a slight tilt and made connection, two hours later not there.

So a new cable would seem to be in order,would a 5 foot one be too long ?

It is always recommended to use the USB cable that came bundled with the Passport, longer cables will cause power inconsistencies. Basically the longer the cable the less energy will get to the Passport. 

1 Like

The shortest cable at the two outlets available to me were 1.5 meters and the WD Cable is

not available in Australia.

I have now connected into the four rear usb3 ports by the above action and apart from at

power up this morning it has stayed on,will see how it plays out. 

My Passport 3.0 1TB —From having had predictable “Drive No Longer Recognized” pop-ups where Un-plug / Re-insert fixes it, I read that the  [Rear USB Ports]  – are electrically better – than Front/Top USB ports because they’re “On”  the Main Board. (and presumably incur fewer Power Source Burps)

I still get pop-ups but Not as frequently, so your “rear port use” may be a real Help even IF it doesn’t produce the Complete Fix.

Hope it’s the latter.

Edit 1/13/14: … Per this Thread I removed a short Ext cable to the Drive - AND - the Drv  Lost its Connection the next day.

I DON’T DISAGREE with the WD cable-only premise but it’s Not a Big Help to me in keeping the connection.

Edit 1/15/14: Using ONLY the WD My PassPt Cable I started having MORE disconnects than WITH an EXTENSION Cbl. I’ve RE-inserted the Ext Cable & will monitor results. FORGET my 1st paragraph above…

Five days later.

The drive is not detected at any power up or restart,but after removal and two or three

attempts it shows up and stays on line until the next shutdown.