Passport Issue after Driver Updates

I recently ran a driver utility that updated my drivers.  I can see the virtual drive unlocker in My Computer, but the message I get when I run WD Drive Unlock is “You must run the WD Drive Unlock appliction from the WD Drive Unlock CD associated with the drive you want to lock.  Click Exit, locate and open the related WD Drive Unlock CD, and then run WD Drive Unlock to unlock the desired drive.”

I verified all my USB drivers are working.  I’ve swapped USB ports from 3.0 to my 2.0 ports.  If I unplug the drive while the OS is running, I get a BSoD related to the drive.  Also, in Diskman, I see the Disk but it’s Unallocated due to it being write protected by WD Drive Unlock.  However, it is visible in Diskman.

I’ve reinstalled drivers for my PCI and USB ports.  I have an Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E card that it has been plugged into.  I never had an issue before until this driver update.

Device Manager

Welcome to the Community.

Are you able to unlock the drive by means of WD SmartWare or WD Security?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. No, I am unable because WD SmartWare doesn’t see the drive attached. SmartWare only gives me Dropbox for a backup option.

However, I will install WD Security when I get home to see if I can unlock the drive. I will be back home in a couple of hours.

I installed WD Security.  When I open the program, it tells me “Attach a supported WD drive”.  As soon as I unplug the drive, I’m guaranteed a BSoD.

I have resolved my issue by reverting my system back to prior to using Driver Genius Pro to update my chipset drivers.  Never again will I do that.  I am adament about getting drivers directly from the manufacturers website for all my devices and motherboard chipset.  My issue happened right after updating drivers using Driver Genius Pro.

I’m glad you were able to discover a solution.