Passport Essential SE won't spin

I’ve been having this problem with my external hard drive for about a month now and my problem is that when I plug in the USB cord to my computer the drive doesn’t start up and the only time I can get it to spin up is if I wiggle of forcefully hold down the cord with something on the end connected to the drive. Now even when the drive is able to spin up even if I don’t have anything holding the cord down any slight movement at all will cause the drive to disconnect. I have used this drive on three different computers and I keep having the problem so I know it’s not my computer or a power problem. So I was wondering if you knew whether it was the cord or the drive that is the problem or if I need to send it back

It’s either a bad cable or the USB port is going bad. If it’s still in warranty contact WD and they’ll probably send you a new cable. Since you are having problems with the drive make sure the data is backed up elsewhere. To many people MOVE files too an external and think that’s a backup. A backup is 2 copies in different places.

Joe

1 Like