Occasional Visitor
HELPMEPLEASE13

Passport Data Recovery

NOW WHAT.....I have no information on my passport.  I had all of my photographs on it.  My computer detects the HD, but nothing there.  I called WD support, they walked me thru a scan....it said, to many sectors damaged.

They told me to come to this community page and find a free data recovery program.  NOW WHAT?  I know how to turn on a computer, upload my photographs and check my email. 

I am very frustrated by this.....What do I do??????

Respected Contributor
MR_MKS_Montana

Re: Passport Data Recovery

Hey there, in your case, you might need a Data Recovery Software, I have had luck with MiniTool Data Recovery.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
rbrendel

[ Edited ]

When I plug my passport into my computer (I've tried multiple computers) the light comes on  but i get a message saying USB Device Not Recognized- the device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.  It does not show up in My Computer at all.  It has got pictures on it from my daughter's birth and I need them off...PLEASE HELP! I don't care about the hard drive...I just want the pictures off of it...I'm DESPERATE!

Advisor
BekkK

Hi
I have same problem did u find a way to retrieve your photos???
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

What OS are you using? Look in Drive Manager and look down where the bars are does it say anything there like Raw? Did you try diffeent USB ports on PC? Make sure you're not going through a hub.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Advisor
BekkK

hi

did the mini toolsoftware or anything else work for you?

i have the same prob.........

Occasional Advisor
oliverpowell

It's often that any time, your drive become inaccessible and not recognized by your PC. In this situation, you got nothing to do except to send your drive to any recovery company.

However, if you could able to roll back your hard drive driver, then instantly switch to photo recovery software, which not help's to recover your images but also can recover videos, songs and more.

I had tried this already with great results. Let me known what happens in your case.

Thanks

Oliver

Valued Contributor
HDDRS

if the drive is not recognized then no software would help. usually it is firmware or something mechanical (heads/motor). Powering up the drive can cause further damage, and lead to permanent data loss on the drive. if your data is important dont wait for the miracle to come, drives dont fix themselves. Send it to a recovery lab, or find someone who specializes in it locally. It may sound harsh, but it is your fault for keeping your valued data on one hard drive.

Occasional Advisor
oliverpowell

Completely agree with HDDRS!!

Data recovery software could also be the best choice instead of sending your hard drive to any data recovery lab. Users have to take proper backup to stay away from data loss.

Occasional Visitor
kimpage

I had this happen with a new WD passport drive, and it turned out that a virus had gotten in, and made it appear like there were no files on the drive at all. But in truth, all the virus did was change the visibility of the files. The virus updated the visibility option on the root folders to "hidden", then updated the folder option that says "don't show hidden folders". Wow. And I thought I had lost all the files, and when I discovered what had happened, I had them all back in a few seconds.

The way I discovered it was when I went into the properties tab, it showed that 30% of the space was used. Then I tried something else, a search I think, and it showed all the file names as it browsed through the disk drive. That was when the light-bulb went off, and I realized what had happened.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD