Passport 1TB SE locked out

My Passport SE 1TB automatically locked and I never set up security to lock it. I never had Smartware Installed until I tried to install it to unlock it unsucessfully. Need Help.

This may be an issue of hardware malfunction as drive lock is executed through hardware encryption system. There are no known methods of removing password locks on Passport product to date. Try to claim warranty replacement if your drive is still under warranty.

Mabikay - SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

Im afraid the only way to acess the drive again is to erase the drive.  WD cant retreive a password lost or forgot or accidently locked sorry

I am afraid, format option will only offered if user forgets his PW and try to enter incorrect PW five times in sequence. But as far as I understand, unintentional drive lock may not allow formatting to be successful even he is offered to format his drive. Anyway since he has nothing to mislay, he may try that option as well.

After all warranty replacement would do the same.

Mabikay - SLK

So you are saying that because the unintentional lock, I lost my information? Is there anyway I can pull that information?

Drmerchant,

Try this nondistructive method. Download HDD Regerator 2011 trial  and install it on a PC which has no Smartware installation. Ignore SES driver installation prompt.

Now try to run pre-scan your drive using HDD Regenerator. If the scan completes and report you a drive error report, you can buy or get full version and run full repair mode. Both of these modes shall take long time & usually 1 hour for 100GB.

If you cannot complete pre scan on trial, then you have to forget about you data and go for repartition and format option.  (The big question is “Can you Format a Locked Drive” - I can’t be sure)

Good Luck

Mabikay - SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue.

I saw one post and can’t find it again about this lock situation. The person and a couple of replies had succeed accessing the drive from another user account like guest account to that PC. It’s simple and nothing to loose. post back if it works.

Joe

I would sugges you just replace that hard drive if its under warranty none of these method are certain and are very time consuming. If the drive just locked by itself who knows what other surprises it might havem The firmware might have a error. Just replace it.