Passport works only /w extension in usb 3.0 port

Greetings Dear fellow WD community!

I have WD Passport #2413B “DBAHGA” R/N: C6B  P/N: WDBBEP0010BBK-03

My USB 3.0 ports work 100%.

When I plug my Passport into USB 3.0 port (on motherboard) directly, the drive gets power (it starts and spins - I feel it), however is not recognized by windows.

When I plug my Passport into USB 3.0 port through an extension cable (about 2ft long), it works normally and is recognized by windows without a problem.

HOW COME THE DRIVE GETS POWER BUT DOESN’T CONNECT THROUGH USB3.0 PORT DIRECTLY? (using the supplied cable) IT DOES HOWEVER CONNECT TO USB 3.0 PORT IF I USE AN EXTENSION CABLE.

Does this have to do with the design of USB 3.0 port? Maybe the drive USB plug has contacts that do not reach the USB3.0 port connectors? (I read a theory like this online somewhere) Perhaps the reason the drive connects to my USB 3.0 port through an extension only is because the extension itself is USB 2.0, and the drive does not support 3.0?

Thats the only logical explanation I was able to come up with - just need to confirm. Big thank you in advance.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Aleksey

What I also noticed that if I do not use the supplied cable (usb one end, micro usb and power splitted the other end) and use a micro usb cable (from another device, but that does not have a split end) the drive works even if I plug it into USB 3.0 port, however it works at USB 2.0 speeds.

If I use the supplied WD Passport USB cable and plug it directly into USB 3.0 port on my mobo, it still does not work/connect, only gets power.

Hi,

As a recommendation, make sure that the USB 3.0 drivers are up to date on your computer.

1 Like

Sucess!

Dear Help4All, thank you for your prompt reply and help - indeed the drivers for my motherboard resolved the issue,

One follow up though, 

I did not notice a significant speed increase in transfer rate. Maybe very slight, but it stayed at around mid 30 MB/sec on file copy from external to internat HDD connected via SATA 6.0.

I was getting similar transfer rates when connecting the passport through USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 with extension cable.

Anything I could do? For some reason I though the speeds would almost double. Thats what I read online from some users at least.

Problem solved.

I have found a solution online, I went to the HDD properties window, and found a setting for drive performance, it gave me two options, standard quick disconnect option, or fast transfer rates, but I have to use device removal wizard.

I selected the second option, rebooted the computer and now I am seeing rates around 90-100 MB per second. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much for your assistance! I hope this information will come in handy to some one in the future.

Kind Regards,

Alex