New Passport Essential and accidently deleted all software-have blank disk

Accidently deleted anything on the disk while trying to download software from WD.  How do I start over from nothing onthe disk to  process downloads?

Hi, pazpaz;

I, too, lost a bunch of stuff on my Passport after downloading WD software updates.  I never have gotten them back, but perhaps someone else can assist you.  Since this happened to me, I have always removed my Passport prior to downloading any WD updates.  I just wanted you to know that I had the same thing happen. Not Good !!  Since I remove my Passport, I have not had this happen.

Claudia

If you are not having issues with the drive or Smartware then don’t bother with the firmware update. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Mine work as is and I haven’t updated them.

Joe

Hi, Joe_S;

I didn’t know any better at the time and didn’t realize that I didn’t need the update.  Thanks for the clue, though.  By the way, how does one know that you don’t need the updates?

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

If you’re not having any isses with the drive then I wouldn;t bother with any updates.

Regards

Ayhan

Hi, again, Ayhan !!

I wonder how one knows whether or not you need to download updates?  That was my initial problem.  WD said it had an update for me, so I just automatically downloaded it, not knowing any better.  Thanks.  So nice to hear from you.

All the Best,

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

I suppose we all learn the hard way.

As to whether you need them or not? Unless you are having problems as it is and there is a possibilty that the updates may fix someting. That certainly was the case with my new USB 3.0 3TB wd drives. I just had to update the firmware to get them to work porperly.

I used to religously update everything that was offered. But now particularly with HD firmware and WD smartware I am very reluctant to do so, as there is always a possibilty that the data may be compromised. I have even stopped using the WD smartware and have created my own backup procedures through Task Manager using Robocopy.

Regards 

Ayhan

1 Like

Hello my friend Ayhan;

I can’t get over how helpful you are !!  I  will keep what you said in mind, and now I don’t feel so bad about losing stuff when I downloaded because I know it’s happened to plenty of others.  I also wondered how someone knows when they DON’T need it?  I guess it’s best just left alone, but it takes a while to get educated on that.  Your knowledge is way above my head and pay grade!!  May I some day reach your level!

Thanks so  much, once again.

Claudia

I need to clarify my initial email.  While attempting to download updates from WD I deleted everything.  I am unable to use the Passport.  I tried to store files after the error and nothing is recognized.  The basic operating software is apparently gone.  Where can I get the software to operate the Passport and what specific software do I need?  Thank you anyone who can guide a novice throught this.  paz