Occasional Advisor
Slooby

New My Passport 2.0TB USB 3.0 - accessing stored files

OK I have the new 2.0TB model of My Passport. While I have had older and smaller models I am a newbie when it comes to the WD SMARTWARE. While there are a few downsides of using WD Smartware I am seeing the advantages and like it so far as long as I can find the answers to a few questions. With that said, I am in day three of using this drive. and at this point I have only two questions: 1. Accessing the stored volumes to see and copy files direct - I can see the couple of folders and files that were created today in the I:\WD SmartWare.swstor folder. I can access, open, and copy files using Windows Explorer. That's great. The not so great is I don't see anything for the initial backup, there are no folders, no files. How do I get to them using Windows Explorer? 2. What do I need to do to access these files from ANOTHER COMPUTER using the same OS , which is Windows 7 x64? Thanks in advance for any info you might offer.
Honored Contributor
Wizer

Re: New My Passport 2.0TB USB 3.0 - accessing stored files

The files are located under the smartware.stor folder

you will see a folder like C / computername/ Users or public/ your name / files

the files do not need to be copied to the backup folder when manually copying

make sure to backup to a different folder manually

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Advisor
Slooby

Re: New My Passport 2.0TB USB 3.0 - accessing stored files

Thanks for the response, but I'm still having issues. I am backing up two drives from my computer, C:, and another physical drive E:. I can manually explore the saved backup folders for drive E:, they are in the folder you mention, but I still cannot find where the initial back up folders for C: are. In WD Smartware I can see the listing for C:, retrieve files, etc. My objective is to figure out how I can access the files that were backed up for drive C:, using windows explorer, so that I can be 'assured' that should my computer fry (it's my own build, 3yr old Win 7 i7 Audio screamer) I will be able to get to my backed up files manually.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD