MyPassort 1TB not useable after hours of use after connecting

I have recently bought a mypassport 1TB usb 3.0 hard drive from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y5UV4A/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Ever since from day 1, it has been giving me problems. It works all right after it’s initially attached to the computer. But after I leave the drive idle for a few of hours and then attempt to access the drive again, I can’t make changes to the disk at all. I can navigate the directory structure through windows explorer. But I can’t delete or write anything. Whenever I attempt any write operation, Windows explorer gives me an error such as “Item not found”. When I feel the disk with my hand at that time, it is not spinning at all. It looks like the drive has been powered down somehow. The directory structure I see in Windows explorer is probably just a cached version.

My computer only has USB 2.0 port. What could be wrong? Faulty cable or faulty drive? Should I contact WD for a replacement?

Contact amazon and return the drive.

It’s been over 30 days. So amazon is not the option.

More information I forget to mention. If I detach the hard drive and connect it again, it will go back to normal. But if I leave it idle again, it will stop working at some point. 

Try using a diff cable or buy a power booster cable. You can also ask wd tech support for 1.

sfcheng77 wrote:

More information I forget to mention. If I detach the hard drive and connect it again, it will go back to normal. But if I leave it idle again, it will stop working at some point. 

Update firmware from WD website, install SmartWare software, on SmartWare Software disable the Hibernation/Power Saving mode (it will be applied directly to the firmware)

Check your power setings for USB and make sure that isn’t the problem.

Joe

I have smartware (1.6.2) installed. Firemware version V1.033. I believe both of them are the latest.

But I don’t see anywhere to set power settings in the smartware window.

I’ve already got a replacement drive from WD. It is having the exact same problem.