My passport ultra stops working

When i connect it to laptop, it works fine but after some time (not fixed but approx 1 hour or so), it just stops working. It shows hard drive under “my computer” tab and i am able to see all the files stored in there but when i try to play the video files it doesn’t work. When I remove it and re-connect it then it starts working again for some time but after some time same thins repeats.

Any one else having the same problem ?? I read many problems on WD are power related, is this problem also power related ?? Please help some one. Also Its still under warranty.

Welcome to the community shriavi. To avoid any power issues, be sure to connect the Passport directly to the laptop USB port, extension USB cables or USB hubs can cause power inconsistencies. 

I am not sure weather its a power issue or not and I am connecting it directly to laptop’s USB port.

shriavi wrote:

I am not sure weather its a power issue or not and I am connecting it directly to laptop’s USB port.

You can try running a DLG test and also using another USB cable. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

I ran the test both quick and extendedn tests and it passed both of them but still this issue persist. I don’t know why but it stops working when left inactive for some time like 1 hour or so.

From the Device manager try to find the Passport and remove the check box for “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. If the problem continues, I recommend you to contact support. 

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp