My passport stopped working

my passport stopped  working today as making a sound when connect to pc PC,but  can not find it  ive now tried on 3 laptops and also the TV  any ideas on how I can get it going again as I need my info of it

could be a failed drive or corrupted partition

try using a different usb cable… the clicking might mean is not getting enough power…

looks like you have been using the drive across different platforms and there’s a higher risk of corruption that way

check on disk management to see if the drive is seen… if it is, you will need a Data Recovery software

I’m in the same boat… Passport is not showing on any computer either.  Used two different cables and nothing.  WD will replace the drive however, I have files on this drive that I need.  How can I get these files off the drive?? 

My WD My Passport Essential External HD has been working fine for the last 4 months from when I purchased it. It is a 2 GB version. All of a sudden it will not show up when I put the USB cable into the USB slot on my laptop, other USB devices self install and show up correctly. I have even purchased a new USB cable and the same thing happens. The device seems to run ok as there is power and the white light flashes on the front of it. I have updated the firmware which installed correctly and even run the WD diagnostics tool and it can find it and says it is operating ok. It also shows up under the Disk Management functionality of windows. Can someone help me please as there are precious files on the drive that I do not want to lose? Thank you in anticipation of your answers.

What is the best data recovery software that I can use to recover the files as I have been told WD will charge me for recovering the data if I send it back to then under warranty?

Does the drive show in Disk Management and what does is say about drive? Does it have a drive letter and is it online? Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva is free recovery software. If the drive doesn’t show in Disk Management most of the recovery software won’t work.

Joe

1 Like

Thank you for your response. It shows in Disk Management but does not have a letter. It is weird that the WD diagnostic tool says it is working ok. Chers.

Did you try giving it a drive letter? Does is say anything in Disk Management about the drive like Raw? Look down where it’s shown in bars.

Joe