My passport 1TB is not recognized on USB 3.0 port

Hi,

My Passport Essential SE 1 TB is not detected when I plug the USB 3.0 port.
When I plug a USB 2.0 port, it is recognized and works fine
When I plug a USB 3.0 port with an extension cord (USB 2.0) it is recognized but connected by USB 2.0

I have the USB 3.0 drivers and I set my bios up to date.
I do not find a solution

Do you have a solution?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English

Nnahaa

Did the PC come with USB 3 or was this an addon card? Also make sure USB 3 is enabled in BIOS.

Joe

I have a card Crosshair Formula IV with 2 port USB 3.0 integrated.
the port is enabled in the bios (I forgot to mention but I had already checked)

Did you look in Device Manager and see if it’s OK there. You might also want to check on the manufacturer’s site and see if there are any updates for it.

Joe

thank you for your answers Joe_S

the device manager is ok,
for drivers, I put the last update, and I even flashed the bios to update it

hi joe,

im joeper,  ihave problem with my wd external hard drive 500 gb caapcity. it start not to recognized what ever computer im using. a nottice is pop up whenever i plug the device. previously it really very nice. can u help  me what should i do. i stored all of my file in the device and i want it to retriveve immediately because i have projct to finish

Appreciate your response

thank you

Joeper

Joeper

Does the drive show in Disk Management? If so what does it say about the drive there? It may be something like Raw or Unallocated. What OS are you trying to use it on?

Joe

I have find the problem,

The driver USB 3.0 was corrupted. With formatting, I could install the proper drivers

i’m also having technical difficulties with my passport 500gb usb 3.0 connected to a pcie x1 to usb 3.0 addon card with nec renesas d720200a chipset on asus p5b-deluxe wifi/ap motherboard.

the drive is powered but could not be detected on windows 7 pro sp1 64-bit. the driver version is 2.1.25 and the firmware is 4.0.15.2

the drive is running fine with nec renesas d720200 chipset on gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5 motherboard using the same driver version which is 2.1.25 and firmware is 3.0.25.

i guess wd passport essential usb 3.0 is not compatible with particular nec renesas chipset.

also the original wd usb 3.0 cable died on me last month ago, i just had it replaced by a new one from local vendor today and it works flawlessly on the gigabyte one.

I have the same problem but I’m using an add-on card instead of a built-in chip on the motherboard. Chipset reads NEC D720200F1 and shows on my Device Manager as Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 (both on host controller & root hub). I already have updated the driver to 2.1.19.0 w/ firmware 3025 but unable to get recognition.

Is there a workaround for this? Is there any firmware that needs to be updated to WD Passport Essential drives?

Did you check in BIOS and see if it needs to be enabled there? The USB 3.0 is a bit buggy from what I can see. It doesn’t appear well coordinated and tested between MS and the assorted hardware makers.

Joe

Similar issues here.

I also have tried in Linux with the same results.

Could be related to my card though. Also, it works sporadically, but when it works, it’s at USB 2.0 speed.

Hi all,

I have experienced same issue, and i have resolved.

I have win7 PC and USB3.0 card slot. installed firmware for this, but external HDD was not recognized as USB3.0.

what i have noticed is “power capability of USB3.0 card adapter”. usb3.0 requires much more power than 2.0, and my USB3.0 card did not have 900mA capacity.

so what i did is buy “USB 3.0 A Male to Micro USB 3 Y cable for Mobile HDD” at ebay.

connect HDD to PC with both usb3.0 port and 2.0 (for power supply) port, then HDD works fine with usb3.0 speed!

you may need to check your usb3.0 card adapter can supply 900mA.

hope this can help.

Yoshi:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for posting the solution.

Joe