My iTunes Library Shows Up But The Files Can't Be Located

Help!   

When I left my last job, the IT department transferred the contents of my hard drive to the Passport.    There were some documents that were important, but I was mostly concerned about my music library, and although it was more difficult than it should have been, I was able to transfer my iTunes. 

It’s a year later.  My hard drive crashed, and I just  had it replaced - new operating system installed, etc.   I’m broke, and decided that I’d get over losing some music - I thought I could just transfer the library from my Passport again.   I plugged it in, and had to mess around with it – but it looked like my PC had imported the files.  When I had the Passport plugged in, my iTunes library was fine.  When I unplug it, the library appears but when I try to play a song I get a message saying the file can’t be located.  (It says the original file can’t be found, and asks if I would like to locate it.)

My photos and .pst files are all intact - it’s just the music.

Thank you - I’m incredibly frustrated - I can usually find my way to a solution, but this time I’m stuck.

Hello,

This case normally happens because all the files that itunes is playing are located in the passport not in your computer C: drive.

Please see the link below:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1393/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwOTk1OTQwMC9zaWQvUWk3WEJpeWs%3D

My passport thinks it is the C: drive - when I try to transfer the music it looks as if it’s already on the PC, not the Passport, and I can’t seem to reverse it.  I’ve already loaded the music onto my PC - about a year ago - could that be the problem?

THANK YOU!