My WD External hard drive not recognised

it’s definitely number 3 because i have never dropped it, i accidently put my laptop power cable into it for like a few seconds and then it stop working basically, but im sure my data is still intact and the HDD can be transfered to an identical case but not sure how to do that because there are two circuit boards if im right one of them is the USB/Power connecter and the other is attached to the HDD its self if that makes sense?

yes, there are 2 controllers that you will see. on is just an adapter from SATA to USB and another is attached to your drive.

I would pull the drive out, and connect it to any other enclosure just to see if it spins.

having your laptop power cord could have caused failure in 3 places.

1. usb controller - drive wont spin in burnt enclosure but will in any other enclosure, or if conneted to another power supply direct to sata.

2. hard drive PCB - drive wont spin at all in any enclosure or even when connected to power supply direct to SATA.

3. hard drive pre-amp - drive wont spin at all in any enclosure or even when connected to power supply direct to SATA, but will also start to click when PCB is either repaired or replaced.

problem is that your USB adapter is what decrypts the data on the drive, so even if the drive is healthy that USB adapter needs to be fixed.

Hope someone can help. I have a 1T WD external drive on which I backed up all my files and in particular photograghs before leaving to live and work out in the Persian Gulf.

I had successfully accessed teh drive using my laptop on one day only to find the following day, the power unit had failed.

I replaced the power unit from an official source paying the premium and the HD powers up, spins and the blue light showing activity at the data plug is evident however the laptop and my pc at work dont recognise the existence of the HD.

I have tried alternate cables but to no effect. 

No known maltreatment of the HD and as it survived the transport in my camera bag on the aircraft from the UK, and worked, assume there was no effect there.

Any ideas what to do next?

Regards

Graeme

Same here my passport was working a few hours ago and since I used it on another pc since then it’s not even showing up on mine when I check the external device it’s there but it does not show up in my computer any one can help???

Can someone help me, i am also in the same boat.

I have a WD 2tb sata hard drive that is no longer recognised in any computer i plug it in to, i have also tried numerous amount of external casings to no avail. PLEASE HELP i have all my pictures of my kids since they were born and would really like to retrieve them… and before someone says it, i know school boy error for not backing up my back up! lol

MGSpencer wrote:

Hope someone can help. I have a 1T WD external drive on which I backed up all my files and in particular photograghs before leaving to live and work out in the Persian Gulf.

I had successfully accessed teh drive using my laptop on one day only to find the following day, the power unit had failed.

I replaced the power unit from an official source paying the premium and the HD powers up, spins and the blue light showing activity at the data plug is evident however the laptop and my pc at work dont recognise the existence of the HD.

I have tried alternate cables but to no effect. 

No known maltreatment of the HD and as it survived the transport in my camera bag on the aircraft from the UK, and worked, assume there was no effect there.

Any ideas what to do next?

Regards

Graeme

you could have fried the bridge board when power supply failed.

Shan94 wrote:
Same here my passport was working a few hours ago and since I used it on another pc since then it’s not even showing up on mine when I check the external device it’s there but it does not show up in my computer any one can help???

drive could be corrupt. recovery software like R-studio could help, but if data is very important consult with data recovery company first.

Berniebrennan wrote:

Can someone help me, i am also in the same boat.

I have a WD 2tb sata hard drive that is no longer recognised in any computer i plug it in to, i have also tried numerous amount of external casings to no avail. PLEASE HELP i have all my pictures of my kids since they were born and would really like to retrieve them… and before someone says it, i know school boy error for not backing up my back up! lol

pm sent Bernie

hey, how did you solve your problem i had the same problem myself i also dropped mines  

itsjuugmoney wrote:

hey, how did you solve your problem i had the same problem myself i also dropped mines  

If you dropped your drive, you most likely have physical damage to the drive.  Recovery software most likely won’t help.  If you need the data from the drive, then you are looking at data recovery.  And that will be iffy.  If you have the data backed up, then you can RMA the drive.

Please HELP !!!

My 1 TB WD HDD is not working … When I plugged it to my PC the light comes on and the it starts spinning and the security window pops up and asks for password (it is locked) and when I give the password it takes time and slow down the PC and all programs stuck, during this time a hard drive icon shows in my computer named (Local Disk K) with a question mark after 5 or 6 minutes the icon disappear and the security window shows again (it repeats if I give the password for second time).

At disk management, my hdd is shown Unknown, Not Initialized and unallocated with black label and it doesn’t come online nor initialized. 

I don’t remember if I dropped it or stepped up on it. 

Somebody please help !!! What should I do to get it work ? If I format it would I be able to fully recover the data stored in it?

Thank you. 

FKhyber wrote:

Please HELP !!!

My 1 TB WD HDD is not working … When I plugged it to my PC the light comes on and the it starts spinning and the security window pops up and asks for password (it is locked) and when I give the password it takes time and slow down the PC and all programs stuck, during this time a hard drive icon shows in my computer named (Local Disk K) with a question mark after 5 or 6 minutes the icon disappear and the security window shows again (it repeats if I give the password for second time).

At disk management, my hdd is shown Unknown, Not Initialized and unallocated with black label and it doesn’t come online nor initialized. 

I don’t remember if I dropped it or stepped up on it. 

Somebody please help !!! What should I do to get it work ? If I format it would I be able to fully recover the data stored in it?

Thank you. 

by no means format the thing. I really dont think there is anything to be done on your end since you had a password setup. if you try using data recovery software you will find out that before the drive is unlocked it is read protected.

it comes down to how important is your data, and is it worth having it recovered. there are ways to get is sorted, but data recovery as a services is far from cheap.

Hi just read your comment im having the same problem.  mine hasnt been dropped just moved the hard drive to my sons room to cnnect it there and doesnt recognise it, then took it back to the living room and wont work again.

my trouble shoot is number 2 can you help me please.

When I plug in my external hard drive the light blinks twice then stays lit.  I can hear the hard drive spinning occasionally it will give 2 soft clicks.  The hard drive is not recognized by the computer.  I tried two different laptops and a tablet and still its just lights spins then nothing.  I tried the usb cable in my phone and that is recongized so the cable is good. Have I lost all of my info yet again?

My info on the sticker of the hard drive is:

WD10TMVV-11BG7S0

ATA HARD DRIVE

R//N 701675

DCM EHBV2BBN

DCX XB04G9W70

S/N [Deleted]

This may have been covered but I cannot find it anywhere.

My problem is that my dog pulled out the usb from my laptop. I only had the windows explorer open, no files were being transfered or in use.

Now, when I replugged it into my computer its not coming up. It makes a beep noise (from the laptop) like its connected but nothing.

I’ve looked at disk managment and device management and finally got it to show in explorer as drive f, but everytime I click on it the explorer pane becomes ‘Not responding’. I have a lot of info on there I dont wont to lose, (a little more than 1TB on a 2TB Western Digital.)

PLEASE HELP???

Thanks in advance

Daniel

My external hdd worked perfectly yesterday, but when i turned it on today it stopped being recongized. It’s making bumping noises, like its trying to spin. Any idea on how to fix this? It does show up in dics management but not “my computer”

try plugging the drive directly into the wall to make sure it’s getting enough power.  if it doesn’t fire up, then it’s most likely toast.  you can also try all the standard simple tips: connect to another port, or pc, try another cable, try another power adapter…

My problem is that it’s recognized as a CD drive by the computer. I did dropped it a couple of times before but that wasn’t a massive destructive drop at all. HELP PLEASSSEEE!!!

renoBoi wrote:

My problem is that it’s recognized as a CD drive by the computer. I did dropped it a couple of times before but that wasn’t a massive destructive drop at all. HELP PLEASSSEEE!!!

ouch!!!  you probably damaged the board in the external case, or the drive inside.  don’t tell me you don’t have a backup of your data.  if you do, then you can try to rma the drive.  as long as there’s no visible physical damage, you should be able to get away with it.  if you need the data, then you have one of two choices, you can pay for data recovery (which would protect your warranty - as long as there is no visible physical damage), or you can pop the case open and try it in a pc.  it all depends on whether you have a smartware drive, cause they’re encrypted and the pc thing won’t work.

oh, and by the way, dropping a drive once is enough to destroy it.  dropping it a couple of times, well, your luck just plain ran out.

hi, I have WD ext HHD and one of my computers don not see the HHD .  Can somebody help.

I didn’t drop my HHD it work perfectly on the other computer.