My Passport Ultra 2TB is not being recognized

I restarted my computer one day and my portable harddrive does not show up at all. The light turns on and you can hear it running, but it makes this strange beep sound occasionally. I don’t know what happened to it. And ideas?

If the drive is doing like a beeping noise or clicking noises it could be related to power issues; I will suggest you to try an USB Booster Cable.

* Your drive works as an USB 3.0 device but it is backwards compatible, however if you use an USB Power Booster Cable you won’t be able to use your drive as an USB 3.0 device and it will only be detected as an USB 2.0 drive.

Do you have a desktop or laptop computer?

If you have a laptop computer have you tried to use your drive while the computer’s power adapter is plugged to it?

Do you have the information that is on the drive stored on different locations or that’s the only source? You can try downloading and installing the WD SES Driver on your computer to see if it works before formatting the drive: Download the WD SES drive for your WD My Passport Ultra drive.

Did not work? Then you may try formatting the drive if you have the information that is on the drive stored on different locations, otherwise you can contact WD Data Recovery Partners to see if they can recover the data from your drive: Data Recovery Information from WD

If you need a replacement you may do it online through the WD Portal but you must be registered first and you need to register your product; you can create Advanced or Standard RMAs from there but if you have any problems you can contact WD through email support or phone support to get your product replaced.

Also make sure you are not connected through a hub. On a desktop sometimes a port on the back works better.

Joe