My Passport Ultra 2TB Not Recognized in Windows 8.1 with USB 3.0

to gifcar:

Well?  Now?  That USB hub may not help at all.  Remember.: I mentioned lack of power as a possible problem before you told us what computer you had.  But, then, you told us your Asus computer model.

Based on the ccomputer model you told us, we then could see that yours is a very special computer and it not only provides the standard full 900ma to its USB 3.0 ports but it also provides what ASUS is calling “Ai” power to some or all of its ports.  I don’t know if it supplies Ai to all or just to the front ports.  But there should be at least one on your computer that supplies more than adequate power for the My Passport drives to function.  You’ll have to check your owner’s manual on this topic.

Anyway …

Ai is supposed to designate that a port provides more than 1 amp for charging things that can utilize a higher charge rate like iPads.  In that case, you won’t get any more needed power by adding a USB hub unless your computer is defective and is not supplying its stated capabilities.

But, as I did mention, maybe the 2TB models of MyPassport drives are designed to reject some value above 900ma as excessive and possibly dangerous?

That is something I cannot test for you with my 2TB Passport because I don’t have any USB port in my life that provides more than 900ma coupled with a data stream.  I’ve got wall chargers that provide only power and some of them will supply more than 900ma but they do not also carry a data stream because they are not connected to a computer.

Like I mentioned, I have a video camcorder that will not charge if I connect it to a 2amp power port of a wall charger.  I have to connect it to the 1amp port of that wall charger.  It is functioning as designed (although it is aggravating).

So … question is … that you will have to discover … are there any ports on your computer that are not Ai ?  If so, have you also tried that port or those ports that do not supply that extra Ai boosted power?