My Passport USB3.0 - speed is very slow

Hi,

I have My Passport filled with about 180gb worth of data, which made up of:

940 xml files in each folder
Each folder size is about 25 mb
So, for 180gb, there are about 7000-8000 folders
And if each folder contains 940 files, the total files on My Passport is about 7 million files

The above are figures that I thought might be helpful for figuring out if my transfer speed is fine.

I am connecting my passport to usb3.0 port on my laptop, I’m using oem usb3.0 cable, my speed went from 2.5mb/s down to as low as 400kb/s.

I then updated the firmware, I finally got topped at 4mb/s.

For a USB3.0, 4mb/s is very low isn’t it? I expected it to be much higher, but I’m not sure if my data has to do with this. Any guidance/inputs are welcome. With the speed, the data is going to take at least 1 weeks to finish copying to my laptop even if I put it on 24 hours, not to mention the speed will reduce over time. I really desperately looking for help! Thank you very much!

Welcome to the Community.

I would recommend changing the USB cable and re-installing all associated USB 3.0 drivers used by your computer’s USB controller. I would also recommend running a drive health test by means of W Drive Utilities.

Regards,

Hi Trancer,

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded and tested using WD Disk Utilities, SMART test passed and Quick Drive Test passed. I haven’t tried Complete Drive Test though, because I am sure it’s gonna take quite long as it will interrupt with what I need to do.

How do I obtain a new cable if I am currently resides in the UK? Any direct link for purchase you may have?

I actually have two WD My Passport, but currently one is in university, so I might try out the cable from the other My Passport maybe 1-2 days later, to see if it’s indeed cable issue.

I do not have access to shopping retailer info in the UK, however, the cable is not proprietary even if it looks a bit different. It is called “Micro USB 3.0” which is the current USB 3.0 standard.

Regards,