My Passport Slim is causing my computer to become unstable

My WD My Passport Slim (USB 3.0) consistantly stops responding, disconnects, fails MFT writes, and drive reads, and has resulted in blue screens, and system hangs on several occassions.

I have multiple USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 devices (drives, and other devices), and this is the only drive that exhibits this behavior. This instability is beginning to cause damage to the file systems on every drive connected to the system, when this instability hits. (both internal, and external)

This behavior happens no matter what port the unit is attached to (USB 1.1, 2.0, or 3.0, including the powered USB hub mentioned below), or what Operating system is in use at the time. It also doesn’t matter where files are being copied to/from (Including local disks, other USB devices, or even network locations)

chkdsk regularly reports errors in the file system, and twice in the last 48 hours has reported damaged clusters. Currently using spinrite to attempt to find any physical errors, or damage to the drive, but would be up for more suggestions.

Please be considerate in your replies. Funds are currently non-existent, and the warranty has expired. Don’t be shy with technical information. I have some decent knowledge, and if I don’t understand, I will ask. System specs are below.

Primary OS - 8.1 Pro 64-bits
Secondary OS - Windows XP Professional 32-bits (For compatibility with older programs)
MB - StrikerExtreme (680i SLI ready)
BIOS - Phoenix Technologies
BIOS Ver - ASUS StrikerExtreme ACPI BIOS Rev 2002
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz (Not overclocked)
RAM - 5GB (Single channel)
Sound - HDMI Audio from Graphics
Graphics - NVidia PNY GeForce GT610 (2GB, Not overclocked)
Other - 2 port USB3.0 card
Other - 28 port powered USB 3.0/2.0 hub (Plugged into USB 2.0)
External Drive - Seagate GoFlex 2TB drive (Plugged into USB 3.0)
External Drive - Western Digital My Passport Slim 1 TB (Normally plugged into USB 3.0)
External Drive - SanDisk Cruzer Glide 32GB Flash drive (Plugged into hub)
External Drive - SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB Flash drive (plugged into hub)
External Drive - Rocketfish 2.5" SATA/USB 2.0 enclosure kit with 500GB drive installed (Plugged into, and powered by 28 port hub)
Internal HDD space - LOTS
Optical - DVD-RW (Multi) drive
PSU - 850 Watts

I just posted a conflict between Seagate and WD Smartware, maybe this is the cause for your issue as well.

Are you talking about the software that comes with the drives? If so, that is not the cause of the conflict, because I don’t install the drive software, unless it’s absolutely required for the use of the drive.

I did install Smartware in XP only, and ran all of the tests. Each test came out showing that there was not a problem with the drive. These problems persist whether drive software is installed, or not. Thanks for the reply though! :slight_smile:

EDIT: I’ve been testing this drive on another machine running windows 7 64-bits. This system has no other external devices attached to it, and the drive is also causing that system to be unstable, and unreliable, so thi sis definitely a problem with the drive itself, or the driver in use for it. One or the other is definitely true.