Visitor
Darth
Accepted Solution

My Passport Essential reset

I bought my WD Passport Essential around 6 months ago and I don't use it for 3 months. The problem is that I forgot the password. I want to erase it (or return to factory settings). Lossing the data isn't a problem, there was nothing important.

Can somebody help me? I was looking for some documentation or comments on forums, but... nothing.:womansad:

Occasional Visitor
Dalton

Re: My Passport Essential reset

Have you solved your reset problem?

I'm interested in the porocedure.

Visitor
Darth

Yes, I had to phone to European WD support for help but they answered fast and properly.

Just typing the wrong password for 15 times, device offers you to reset the it and return to factory settings. Which means that you'll lose all data.

But this is why I bought this device.... it's safe.

I'd appreciate to find this information on the WD documentation instead of having to dive in forums and finally phone to the support team.

Occasional Visitor
ulissesromero45

[ Edited ]

mi disco duro externo no funciona

[translated]

my external hard drive doesn't work

Occasional Advisor
Azzek

Using the Drive Settings Drive Erase Function. To erase your My Passport when the
drive is not locked:
1. Click Drive Erase On the Drive Settings screen (see Figure 17 or Figure 18 on
page 27) to display the Erase Drive dialog:
2. Read the warning about the loss of data if you erase your drive.
3. Click the I understand check box to signify that you accept the risk.
4. Click Drive Erase to erase your drive.
After the drive erase operation completes, go to support.wdc.com and see Knowledge
Base Answer ID #5419 for information about downloading and restoring the
WD SmartWare software and disk image on your My Passport drive.
Note: Erasing your drive also removes your password.

SO QUESTION IS WHERE IS ANSWER ID#5419

Occasional Advisor
Azzek

This means that if someone steals the Passport they can re-use as their own!

Occasional Collector
Stahlblu

This doesnt help me at all. I need to know where the reset feature is my WD doesnt ask for a password and I have downloaded the trial of Dmailer or the software that comes with it. However, it doesnt help me at all except to sync my programs to it.  I am so lost I cant delete a file from this thing and now way to reset it.  what do i do now

Staff
WDJeremy

Stahlblu, it sounds like you have a non-SmartWare Passport.  If you want to delete any file from your drive that didn't get onto it via DmailerSync or WDSync, you can delete it through Windows.  However, you can also reformat your drive if you wish to erase it just like any other WD drive.

Occasional Advisor
dfrliltiger

theres only one and only one way to remove or show that password on those drive or any other drives go here and

search for restore password - link below enjoy

astalvista.box.sk

if you have any problems pm me or just reply to this post.

Occasional Advisor
dfrliltiger

ok whats wrong with your drive?:robothappy:

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD