My Passport Essential reset

Using the Drive Settings Drive Erase Function. To erase your My Passport when the
drive is not locked:

1. Click Drive Erase On the Drive Settings screen (see Figure 17 or Figure 18 on
    page 27) to display the Erase Drive dialog:
  2. Read the warning about the loss of data if you erase your drive.
  3. Click the I understand check box to signify that you accept the risk.
  4. Click Drive Erase to erase your drive.
    After the drive erase operation completes, go to support.wdc.com and see Knowledge
    Base Answer ID #5419 for information about downloading and restoring the
    WD SmartWare software and disk image on your My Passport drive.
    Note: Erasing your drive also removes your password.

SO QUESTION IS WHERE IS ANSWER ID#5419

This means that if someone steals the Passport they can re-use as their own!

This doesnt help me at all. I need to know where the reset feature is my WD doesnt ask for a password and I have downloaded the trial of Dmailer or the software that comes with it. However, it doesnt help me at all except to sync my programs to it.  I am so lost I cant delete a file from this thing and now way to reset it.  what do i do now

Stahlblu, it sounds like you have a non-SmartWare Passport.  If you want to delete any file from your drive that didn’t get onto it via DmailerSync or WDSync, you can delete it through Windows.  However, you can also reformat your drive if you wish to erase it just like any other WD drive.

1 Like

theres only one and only one way to remove or show that password on those drive or any other drives go here and

search for restore password - link below enjoy

astalvista.box.sk

if you have any problems pm me or just reply to this post.

ok whats wrong with your drive?:robothappy:

I have the same problem that Darth used to have, but my WD Passport only allows me to put  my password wrong only 4 times… and then it asks me to unplug it and reconnect it again in order to try again… so I never reach the 15 trials…

remember this passwords are case lower some time people forget that they hit the shift while inputting password and shift keys while typing put it in uppercase so try to rember if you hit that key at any point during that prosses pm-me back with status.

hello,

I’m relieved that i found a forum regarding the problem i am facing with my WD My Passport Essential now. 

I have the same problem as Darth that i forgot my password. but like what the other said, i do not reach up to 15 trials when trying to access my external drive… i can only enter the password for 4 times then i have to unplug again. no “restore to factory setting” option …

When you said enter the password, does it have to be the same password? over and over until it reaches 4 or 15 times? 

What is the best solution for this??? :cry:

please help, anyone?

You must install Smartware onto the computer in order to use the erase option.  SmartWare 1.4.1.1 is the latest.

for me problem, can not whip off in the factory tuning  and wdcsupport does not understand that problem them - and to decide they in any way do not want it, I set a version 1.4.1.1 PROBLEM is not DECIDED, quick formatter started - did not help

hdd worked an only month

What happens when you use SmartWare v1.4.1.1 to erase your drive?

If You Forgot Your Password the Only Way to use it once more is Erasing the Entire HDD ( ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED )

If After Attempting 5 Times with an Invalid Password it Does not Shows you the ‘‘ERASE’’ Option

You will Need to Download  the ‘’ FIRMWARE UPDATE ‘’ for Your HD and Then You Will Be able to Try With an Invalid

Password 5 Times and it  Will Give you the Option to erase it  :slight_smile:

If you need Further information , Don’t Hesitate Just let me Know…

I agree to remove the DATA ON the DISK.
 Has downloaded version 1.4.1.1 - after 5 wrong inputs occurs nothing///
I start manually in program files/western digital/front parlor/WD Quick Formatter.exe - writes “failure at disk formatting”

(md5 82E479DB2D8DD0252625DF70F4F80B00)
net framework 4 it is established
Tried on windows seven - nothing

FW updater   Writes - - “at first unlock a disk”

What happens if you open SmartWare and lick on the locked drive?  It should ask you to enter five wrong passwords and then give you the ability to erase your drive.

There is here such window:
http://10pix.ru/view/2749/2408099/
I enter 5 or15! or50!  times the password - occurs nothing
(Writes the wrong password)
I start C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\Front Parlor\WD Quick Formatter.exe

скрин: http://10pix.ru/view/757105/2408105/

Prompt what exe starts disk deleting,
Can will give the reference to the working exe?? (Separately to download)

On virtual CD / Unlock.exe too there is no invitation to disk clearing (after input of 5 or 15 or 50 times of the wrong password)

Hi all,

This happens when the drive is using the older version of the firmware.  Please update the firmware and try again.

here is the link

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/Step1.asp?id=wdfMP_Essential&os=win

Please note: this is not the WD SmartWare software updater but the actual firmware update for the physical drive.

Step 1: Update the Drive Firmware  (last updated 8/5/10)

1. Disconnect all external drives from the computer except for the My Book or My Passport drive you want to update.
  2. Ensure that the My Book or My Passport drive is connected to a USB port on your computer and if you have password protected your drive, make sure to unlock it or remove password before you begin the firmware and software update process.                                           -------------------------------------------

----- And it for whom is written???

I need to unblock a disk (completely to clear, return to factory options)!!! A problem in the password!!!

In general who answers me???

Find a method to dump a disk or to stitch flash yours VCD new firmware
Or separately the utility for destruction of all data on a disk together with the password (which it is requested for an unblocking)
I have written down on a disk linux and have connected to the receiver - he was blocked - I DID NOT BLOCK the DISK, And I DO NOT KNOW WHAT the PASSWORD At IT AT 5 TIMES (OR MORE) INPUT of ANY PASSWORDS isn’t present the INVITATION TO DISK CLEARING

Here my problem

P.S For 140 dollars has bought a headache

WD Application Launcher and Cleaner.exe - What function carries out???
Lies in a folder temp.

Hi everyone, am new to the forum and i hope u guys wil help me. I have a my passport essential hdd, s/n: WXG1A2088874 and p/n: WDBAAA5000ABK-00. I bought it almost 2 months ago. A friend got it so that he can use it to back and transfer data while he reinstalled his system, but when it came back i could not access it. It only shows the smartware virtual cd and whenever i try to unlock it using the unlock utility in smartware it only says ‘There are too many password recovery attempts.’ Please please help me. Thanks.