My Passport Essential not being read by computer

Just got a friends My Passport from him and it will not work correctly on my computer.  I’ve tried it on two other PC’s without a hitch but mine won’t read it.  When I first connected it it would not progess passed the “installing device software” in WIndows.  It did this for about 10 minutes before I gave up and tried to close that.  Then I tried checking for it in device manager and I could see it listed under “other devices” with a caution on it giving me a Code 28 when I checked the properties.    I then tried installing the SES drivers, the SmartWare software and everything I could find on WD’s site.  I’ve also googled several things and tried a few different things to little evail.  The last thing I tried was to uninstall the device.

After that I installed the Smartware software and let it install the SES drivers thinking this would fix it.  Now when I plug in the drive I get nothing and in device manager there is a “WD Drive Management devices” tab and a “WD SES Device” under that with a down arrow on it.  When I open properties on that I get a Code 22 saying the device is disabled.  If I try to enable it the window then freezes.  I have tried going to “Manage” in my computer and looking under disk management for the device but it does not show.

I am using Windows 7 x86 64-bit Professional.  I can include pictures of the device manager if needed.

Thank you for any help you can provide as I don’t want to have to call WD and wait on hold and waste minutes.

Hello, it is possible that the Passport is not receiving enough energy to work correctly. Avoid using USB extension cables or USB hubs, also try connecting the Passport to another USB port.