My Passport Essential SE stopped working

Hello,

Yesterday my Passport Essential SE 1TB (WDBACX0010BSL-EESN) suddently stopped working.

I tried it on 2 pc and none of them recognize the files on the drive.

After 3 minutes the pc does recignize the drive letter, however I can’t access the drive itslef (it also makes explorer to freez).
The drive itself does spin and the led works.

I tried file recovery progrems with no success (some are stuck when try to load the list of the drives, one of them recognized that there are 930gb of data, but after 40 minutes it only recognized 360 files…)

Please help :frowning:

Hello, first try running a DLG test to rule out any possible hardware damage, if the test completes successfully, you should be able to recover most of your files with the help of a data recovery program. Using Google you can find several option. Check the link below for the steps to run the test. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Thank you,  but I did write that I tried a couple of recovery programs :( 
Other suggestions?

Hi again, did the Passport passed the DLG test? 

Nope, DLG freezes the moment I connect the drive…

It would unfortunately appear that the disk is faulty. Check the link below for the steps to replace it. If you need to recover your files you can contact any of the data recovery partners on the WD support page, some of them offer a free evaluations of your drive. 

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8

Data Recovery Partners

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Same problem here, and I have read about other people experiencing the same defect with this model (#WDBACX0010BSL).

In my case, it stopped working few months after warranty expiration… It seems that this is a sort of “time-bomb” equipment.

I just got another WD unit few weeks ago, but I feel that it would be better if I had bought another brand. No more WD for me. :confounded: