My Passport Essential SE - Where's my installation guide?

I recently purchased a 1TB Portal My Passport Essential SE drive, unpackaged it, and plugged it in. The box says there’s “WD SmartWare software” and a “Quick Install Guide”, but I see no software, and the only thing I can think of that might be the installation guide is an illustration of it being plugged in… What do I do after I plug it in? I’m rather new to this and was hoping to back up my data before my motherboard is replaced in a few days.

When you plug in the Drive it should prompt you to install a SES driver click yes. Then go into computer and it should show something there. I only used the Smartwae once and didn’t like it. It backsup with it’s own system it will not backup all file types. It will not backup system files.

Joe

1 Like

Giraffe wrote:
I recently purchased a 1TB Portal My Passport Essential SE drive, unpackaged it, and plugged it in. The box says there’s “WD SmartWare software” and a “Quick Install Guide”, but I see no software, and the only thing I can think of that might be the installation guide is an illustration of it being plugged in… What do I do after I plug it in? I’m rather new to this and was hoping to back up my data before my motherboard is replaced in a few days.

The Smartware software is inside the drive, is an executable file that you can install. However, since your MoBo will be replaced soon I’d suggest to make a manual backup (Copy & paste) to make sure than nothing will be left out, as Smartware won’t take all the files on your computer.