My Passport 2T keeps crashing computer

I have an Asus laptop computer and it seems that every time I hookup the drive to it, it crashes within a few seconds.

At my home location, using the same laptop computer but also having a USB router that I hook the drive up to, it works fine.  I don’t seem to have problems with the USB ports in my computer as I have other devices that work fine in all the ports.  I understand that the stock answer is “always use a USB router”, but that takes away the portability aspect. 

I used to have no problems, and then started having problems, not only with this drive, but with other devices, so I just replaced all the boards in my computer, and now I am only having problems with this drive.

I am wondering if somehow the drive is now drawing in too much power.  I have my computer set for the High Performance power plan, but I am wondering if I can boost up the power even past that to address this issue.

swampwiz,

It is possible your WD Passport or its USB cable is not performing correctly. I would recommend changing the supplied USB cable and performing a disk health test by means of WD Drive Utilities.

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=218&sid=171&lang=en