My Passport (1TB) is restarting my Samsung LED TV (F6400)

Hi,

I do not klnow whether it is a power issue or something else but I am afraid I am still looking for a solution. I am attaching a picture of USB panel of my Samsung LED TV which have three USB ports mentioning its power. I did not find the power consumptuion of my HDD My Passport 1TB drive. Attched picture might help you finding a solution. By the way I have used all three USB ports with my drive but in vain.

What is the power consumption of WD Mypassport (1TB)?

Between 500 milliamps and 650 milliamps approximately.

I had a chat with Samsung Technical support and they informed me that 1TB drive requires more power thats why LED TV is restarting. They suggested me to use 500GB drive instead of 1TB.

I wanted to close this chapter once for all. As I posted a USB manual pic in which power is mentioned very clearly, is Samsung support team is right that 1TB drive needs more power which LED TV does not support.

hijaze wrote:

I had a chat with Samsung Technical support and they informed me that 1TB drive requires more power thats why LED TV is restarting. They suggested me to use 500GB drive instead of 1TB.

I wanted to close this chapter once for all. As I posted a USB manual pic in which power is mentioned very clearly, is Samsung support team is right that 1TB drive needs more power which LED TV does not support.

Yes, that’s what I thought as well.

Glad to know they were able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks you for your help. One last quastion, you informed me that power consumption of Mypassport (1Tb) is 500 milliamps to 650 milliamps. My posted picture shows 5V (1A) compatibility. I think 1A is more than 650 milliamps, why is this power issue then?

I’m actually have the same problem. 

The only difference is that I’m using a 2TB WD passport.

See it used to work on my tv perfectly fine, then all of a sudden stopped.

Although on my second TV, which is an older Series 6 Samsung it still work to this day via USB.

So I’m a bit lost to why all of a sudden it stopped on the newer tv (Samsung LED TV).

Sorry to hear this. I am still looking for its solution. WD people are not responding my last quastion. Please share if you have some solutions.

Im having the same issue, with my 2TB hardrive, it worked well for the first 2 months then just stopped. The TV would see the harddrive and about 30 seconds after that the TV would reboot.

I have tried a friends 1TB harddrive and it worked fine.

I dont thnk its a power suply issues as it worked withouth incident for 2 months. 

my TV is a 55F7100

has anyone had an update on this issue yet?

Good to hear that but I am still facing the same problem with my 1TB drive.

Can anyone suggest me what other products may be compatiable with this LED TV? I am planning to buy Mypassport Ultra 2TB. Will it be compatible with my TV?

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has any new ideas on this issue?

Im very uncertain that its a power issue as im having a very simular problem,

I have 2x2tb hard drives and have both worked on my 2 different tvs for years with no problems now all of a sudden on 1 of the tvs the tv restarts its self and on the other it will play the first few minutes and jump to the next video.

This is 2 WD hard drives on 2 different tvs that all worked and all videos played fine up until a short while ago. 

I have found out after a very long time that we can use 1TB or even 2TB harddrive on these LED TVs if data on these harddrives do not exceed 750GB. Try it and let me know your experience.

I am also facing the same issue. May be issue can be fixed if samsung does make appropriate changes to its firmware. I have also tried using Y cable in case the issue was due to HDD being underpowered but the TV still restarts. I ahve 40F7500. But than what is the source from where you have confirmed that if the data on the drive is more than 750GB there would be issues cause if that is the case then whats the point of having 2TB HDD. But then I have an older LG LCD TV as well and it does not restart.

Salve,

I had the same issue… Samsung LED TV (F6400) - buyed january 2014, and WD My Passport 1T, after a couple TV firmwares updates My Passport (1TB) was restarting my Samsung LED TV (F6400)

My Solution was a TV factory reset -

Open the main menu.
    Select the Support section of the main menu, and then press ENTER.
    Select the Self Diagnosis section of the Support, and then press ENTER.
    Select the Reset, and then press ENTER.
    Enter the security PIN (default 0000) for your TV.
    The reset warning will appear, select Yes and then press ENTER

- all is working OK now

Had the same Problem, when accessing the 1 Tb USB Disk the TV rebooted all the time, space used about 100 GB and worked already for more than a year.
To me it was a sudden Corruption of the Xfs Filesystem in the Disk which caused the reboots.

For fixing i booted Ubuntu 15 Desktop from USB and attached the Disk. When accessing the disk there was an Error due to Filesystem corruption. Unmounted the disk and called in an Terminal

sudo xfs_repair -L /dev/sdx (x for device)

Then i was able to read the disk, seeing a lot of encrypted files.
Now the Disk worked again as usual in the TV, no data lost

I too use an external 1TB drive to listen to music, view pictures and watch movies through my Samsung UE40F6320.
Initially it always worked as soon as I plugged it in, and in to any of the 3 USB ports.
Sometime recently, it stopped, and would cause the TV to reboot after maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute.
Its a Toshiba not WD, but searching online lead me to this thread and I was experiencing the same issues. The hdd is fine as recently took it on holiday and watched the movies through a small external freeview via its USB socket.
The power requirements etc are all good (as I said it always worked before just fine). So assume the TV updating at some point caused the issue. I reset the TV as instructed above, and it is once again working fine. I will test for the rest of the day and then update the TV - see if it stops working again.
Hope this helps

1 Like

im using an 8tb with external power supply…it works flawlessly

i had an issue like this with a weakened power supply…but i managed to change the components on the board and all is well

I had the same problem. It is because the power consumption of the hard drive is more than the maximum power which can be used from that particular port. Check if you have a port which delivers more power. I did the same thing. I have no issue now.