My 1TB hard drive won't connect to my computer

I wouldn’t consider myself technologically illiterate but I don’t have much experience with computers and such so please bear with me. Also, apologies if this has already been done but I can’t find the thread.

I’ve had my hard drive for several months and I loved it, everything was fine. One day my internet had some connectivity issues and whatnot and nothing could fix it (said it couldn’t connect to the DNS server or whatnot) and so I decided to reboot my computer. I threw in most of what I had on my computer to my hard drive and rebooted the computer. Everything was fine. 

I connected the hard drive once again but didn’t take my files out (for some reason) though everything worked fine and well. I decided to take the hard drive and connect it to another laptop which is the first time I’ve done so. It worked fine also. I brought it back to my original computer and it would not connect. 

There was no sound when I connected the USB cable into the computer’s USB port and when I go to My Computer there’s nothing there. I’ve tried going to Device Manager and there’s nothing. I connected it back to my laptop and nothing either. There’s nothing wrong with the power suppy because the light is flashing on the hard drive. I figure there’s something wrong with the USB port on my hard drive as I’ve swapped the USB cable and to no avail. 

What can I do? I still have warranty but am not sure if it covers this problem. I don’t see anything lodged in the port or anything like that. Could it simply be dust? Or perhaps an insect crawled in and is trapped in tehre or something? Any advice is appreciated. 

Hello AShadowWolf,

You can try checking if the drive shows up on Disk Management, if it does you could try reformatting the unit but that is of course if you still have the data on the computer or in another drive.

You can also try the suggestions provided on the link bellow:

WD external drive is not assigned a drive letter by Windows or Mac OSX and data on the drive is inaccessible

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1164